WCU Golden Rams

Marching Band: FAQ

WCU Golden Rams Marching Band FAQ’s

Who Can Participate?

Any student enrolled at West Chester University is eligible to participate in the Golden Rams Marching Band.

Do I have to be a music major?

No.  Of the 300+ students involved, more than half of the Golden Rams Marching Band is majoring in areas other than music.

How much time is involved?

The Golden Rams Marching Band rehearses MWF from 3:15 – 5:15.   Additionally, the Band performs at all home football games, parades in the community, and in a number of exhibitions throughout the fall.

Are there auditions?

Currently, we hold auditions for membership only in the color guard and percussion sections.  These are held during two mini-camps over the summer.

With woodwind and brass instruments, we occasionally experience more interest than we can support and have auditions for spots in those sections.  These are conducted during two summer mini-camps, the first on July 10 and 31, 2016 from 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM in the Swope Music Building.

How do I sign up?

First, visit our Join Us page and fill out the online form.

Once you have been officially accepted to the university, simply check the “Marching Band” box on your orientation registration form.  This will alert your adviser to schedule you for the course and free your class schedule during rehearsals.

Color guard members and percussionists will need to register to audition during two summer mini-camps.  Visit the Percussion and Color Guard Audition page for more information.

When is Band Camp?

Band Camp is scheduled for August 21-27, 2016.  Percussionists will move in two days earlier on August 19, 2016.

When will I receive the band camp packet?

Band camp packets will be mailed to your home address in late June.

Do I have to change dorm rooms at the start of the semester?

No, you will check in to your university assigned dorm room at the beginning of band camp.

I am a freshman music major.  Do I have to play my major instrument in marching band?


I have Freshman Orientation Meetings scheduled during Band Camp.  What do I do?

Both the university and marching band staff are aware of these conflicts.  Like the sports teams on campus, you should attend marching band unless otherwise noted.

How are uniforms distributed?

Uniforms are distributed during band camp based on the information you have supplied  in the registration form included in the band camp packet.

What parts of the uniform do I need to supply?

You are responsible for supplying Dinkles, gloves, black socks and white t-shirt.

Do I have to supply my own instrument?

The university will supply percussion instruments, tubas, baritones, and mellophones.  Members are expected to provide all other instruments.

N.B.  Woodwind players are strongly recommended to use a ‘marching instrument.’  Wooden clarinets and conservatory model flutes and saxophones do not do well in the extreme weather conditions we experience during a marching band season.